There are about 25 references in the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible in which the word wonderful or its variant appears, however, there is only one verse in the entire Holy Scriptures in which it is used as a name (with an uppercase ‘W’). This is in Isaiah 9:6 which is a foretelling of the birth of Jesus Christ and the titles/names by which He would be known. Amongst all of the given names such as Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace, the first in that list is the name Wonderful (and yes it is distinct although many think it is an adjective to his counseling abilities; no, it is not wonderful Counsellor, but Wonderful, Counsellor).
All of the definitions in the Merriam-Webster’s dictionary for the word ‘wonderful’ is given as an adjective. Some of the definitions include exciting, marvelous, astonishing, unusually good, admirable. There is not a single definition in which the word ‘wonderful’ is a noun (as a Name). So the Bible is unique in defining the unique Lord Jesus Christ Wonderful.
His name is Wonderful, but is He really wonderful? Let us not speculate, but search the Scriptures to gain the answer.
- I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalm 139:14) – His CREATION (you and me) is wonderful!
- Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: (Psalm 40:5) – His WORKS are wonderful!
- Wherefore then do ye harden your hearts, as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? when he had wrought wonderfully among them, did they not let the people go, and they departed? (1 Samuel 6:6) – His DELIVERANCE is wonderful!
- This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working. (Isaiah 28:29) – His COUNSEL is wonderful!
- Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them. (Psalm 119:129). His TESTIMONIES are wonderful!
His Creation, His Works, His Deliverance, His Counsel, and His Testimonies are all wonderful. So you be the judge as to whether this God is wonderful or not. I pray that our response is not like that of the self-righteous chief priests and scribes who were blind despite their seeing of the wonderful things that Jesus did and were sorely displeased, while many praised God saying ‘Hosanna to the son of David’ (Matthew 21:15). Today there are many who see (experience) the Wonderful God and instead of praising God are displeased on account of their own self-righteousness. We must instead be like the Psalmist who when he learned of this Wonderful God, simply exclaimed, such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. (Psalm 139:16).
What a Wonderful God Jesus is. He creates us wonderfully, His work in our lives is wonderful, His redemptive deliverance of our lives from sin and grave danger is wonderful, He counsels and guides our lives in wonderful ways so that our testimonies of Him are indeed wonderful! Jesus is THE Wonderful God, His name is Wonderful and He lives up to His Name! I challenge you to show me another man or god who does.