The book of Genesis accounts for the creation of lights in the firmament of the heaven
God created these lights:
– to divide the day from the night and
– to let them be for signs, and for seasons, and
– to shine for days, and years (Genesis 1:14);
– to give light upon the earth (Genesis 1:15).
Jesus said, you are the light of the world (Matthew 5:14). We are God’s lights on earth.
When we believe in Jesus Christ, we are recreated, as lights of God:
– to divide Holiness from the darkness of sin (i.e., be sanctified), and
– to be God’s warning sign to those who are not in Jesus Christ, of God’s impending end times and seasons, and
– to shine forth perpetually (for days and for years), and
– to give the glorious light of the gospel of Jesus Christ, that is hidden in us (2 Corinthians 4:6-7), upon the earth.
Points to ponder:
Are you lights of God for God, sanctified and Holy? If you are, are you warning others of God’s signs and end times (seasons)? We are chosen to give light upon the earth. Hide not your light under the bushel, but let your light so shine before men, that they may glorify your Father who is in heaven (Matthew 5:15-16).
Genesis 1:14-15 (KJV)
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Matthew 5:14-16 (KJV)
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
2 Corinthians 4:5-7 (KJV)
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.