The book of 1st Kings gives us a glimpse of who Jesus is in the Old Testament (O.T).
It is mostly about King Solomon, the son of David, the king of Israel. Solomon was not only a king, but he was wiser than any other man, an architect, arbitrator, administrator, botanist, composer of 1500 songs, herpetologist, ichthyologist, ornithologist, poet, philosopher, preacher, zoologist (1 Kings 4:32-33). Solomon’s heart was however divided between his love for God and his love for women that led to a divided kingdom in a collision course with captivity. (1 Kings 11:11; Nehemiah 1:26)
1 Kings 11:11
11. Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant (not son).
26. Did not Solomon king of Israel sin by these things? yet among many nations was there no king like him, who was beloved of his God and God made him king over all Israel: nevertheless even him did outlandish women cause to sin.
Jesus says of himself that one greater than Solomon is here (Matthew 12:42)
But where I want you to focus your attention is the similarity that you find in the Coronation of Solomon into Kingship and the entry of Jesus into the Jerusalem as a fulfillment of the prophecy accordingly to God’s prophet Zechariah as stated in Zechariah 9:9.When David appoints Solomon to be King, the King tells three of his trusted men, the Priest (Zadok), the Prophet (Nathan) and the Protector (Benaiah – 1 Chronicles 11:22) and told them to take with them his servants and to cause his Son, Solomon to ride upon his own mule … and anoint him as King over Israel and proclaim saying God save king Solomon. (1 Kings 1:32-34)
9. Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zio; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
15. FEAR NOT, DAUGHTER OF SI’-ON: BEHOLD THY KING COMETH, SITTING ON AN ASS’S COLT.
A mule is a cross between a donkey stallion and a horse mare.
Jesus rode on the donkey, when he entered into Jerusalem, bringing in salvation.
Jesus will ride on a horse (the white horse), when he will return, bringing Judgment (Revelation 19:11).
In 1st Kings, He is the crowned King.
1 Kings 4:32-33
32. And he spake 3000 proverbs (poet), and his songs were a thousand and five (composer),
33. and he spake of trees from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that spring out of the wall (botanist), he spake also of beasts (zoologist), and of fowl (ornithologist), and of creeping things (herpetologist) and of fishes (ichythologist).