Ever wondered why only the second malefactor (criminal) who was crucified alongside Jesus, got a response from the Jesus.
I believe the answer is in the text as recorded in Luke 23:38-43
38. And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
39. And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41. And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
The malefactor RECOGNIZED Jesus for who He really was and secondly he make a REQUEST to be REMEMBERED by Jesus.
First the malefactor said that this MAN (Jesus) has done nothing amiss, but upon realizing that Jesus is NOT just a GOOD MAN but is GOD MAN, focuses on Jesus and recognizes Jesus as LORD
Saying, Jesus, LORD (not MAN), Remember me …
Secondly, this Recognition led to a Requisition that at face value seems ABSURD. His request was “Remember ME, when thou comest into thy Kingdom”. Jesus was DYING on the Cross, What Coming, What Kingdom?
Allow me to indulge myself a little please, I believe, the eyes of the criminal who repented had been opened like that of Stephen or of Enoch (Jude 1:14) and he had seen Jesus glorified as King, and he wanted to be fully part of that.
His request was granted immediately, Since he had recognized Jesus as Lord and requested to be WITH Jesus. Jesus’ response – Verily, I say unto you, Today, shalt thou be with Me in Paradise.
Point(s) to Ponder:
- Have you Recognized Jesus as Lord?
- What is your Request for Jesus, today?